Hello UUCCWC Members, Friends and Visitors!
Please join us this Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 10 am for our online Sunday Service! Afterwards we will meet for Church Coffee Hour. Here is the link for the service: https://zoom.us/j/4312377276. The Zoom Team highly recommends updating your Zoom client app. Instructions can be found here.
Click here for the order of service.
Pursuing Howard Thurman’s Mysticism
Rev. Denise Cawley
In honor of Martin Luther King Day, we visit one of his most influential teachers and pastor of the civil rights movement, Rev. Howard Thurman. Thurman was known as the eminent Christian African American mystical and social gospel theologian, preacher, and prolific author. Offering a new view of Christianity, Thurman addressed how Jesus had far more in common with those who had been harmed by racism, classism, poverty and colonialism than with others of more power and means. Thurman was a student of Mahatma Gandhi as well as Quakerism. Thurman’s practice of direct experience of nature, meditation, and silence, created a experience of spirituality known as mysticism – observing life for divine truth. It was Thurman who regularly advised leaders of these organizations—including Martin Luther King, Jr., Pauli Murray, Vernon Jordan, James Farmer, Whitney Young, Jesse Jackson, Malcom X, and Bayard Rustin.
Should UUCCWC have an unexpected interruption or intrusion to our service, the service will immediately shut down. Please log back in after a couple of minutes for the continuation of our service.
For those unfamiliar with Zoom, joining is easy –
- Just click the Zoom link on your favorite device with Video (a laptop or desktop monitor works best) –
- If you’ve never used Zoom before, you’ll be guided to quickly install the Zoom app, before joining the service
- Once in the Service meeting, select Computer audio and start your Video
- Note: important controls (location may change per your device)
- Bottom task bar (hover your mouse at the bottom to see) – Start your Video on the left
- Top (also hover your mouse) – Select your screen mode: default is usually “Speaker” (recommended) or select “Gallery”
- See the UUCCWC Guide to using Zoom! This can be found on the website.
- If you want to test your device in advance – use this link on your selected device: zoom.us/test
Your best screen mode is “Speaker”, this way, whoever is speaking during the service will be shown.
When you join the Service, you will be muted (and cannot unmute) – this is to control accidental interruptions.
This Sunday’s Coffee Hour feature breakout rooms! At the end of the service, you will be randomly assigned (by Zoom) to one of the breakout rooms and invited to join it. You can accept the invitation to join the “smaller” breakout room, or stay in the “main room” if you don’t accept. You can also leave the breakout room at any time by clicking on the “Leave Breakout Room” button. We hope to create smaller Coffee Hour groups, making conversations easier.
Please join as you are able for coffee and refreshments from the luxury of your home. Connect, catch up, most of all have fun! Hope to see you there.