Job Opening – RE Coordinator
The Unitarian Universalist Community Church of Washington County is a thriving, mid-sized church with over 200 adult members and friends, and serves Oregon communities west of Portland. Our historic 106-year old church, located in the old Orenco neighborhood and surrounded by a mix of single family homes, condominiums, and apartments, is in walking distance of a Metropolitan Express (MAX) light rail system station and a wonderful new nature park is just blocks away, too.
We are proud to be a Certified Green Sanctuary, a Welcoming Congregation, and have a strong intergenerational social action program. Reverend Christine Riley is our settled Minister and has been with us since 2007. We have several well equipped, dedicated classrooms, an excellent children’s play structure, a community garden, and a separate house that serves as our business office and offers additional meeting and classroom spaces. We are a financially stable congregation with several paid Staff positions.
Our volunteers who serve the Religious Education program are a dedicated, skilled group of individuals who energetically nurture an active program for children and youth. UUCCWC is a growing, vibrant congregation with a focus on intergenerational religious education and fellowship interwoven into our weekly worship programming and events. Over the past year, we are seeing increasing numbers of families coming to us for support with teaching liberal religious values to their children. The RE Coordinator will be a key part of sharing our UU faith and values with our families.
Job Title: Religious Education Coordinator
Reports to: Minister
The RE Coordinator provides leadership, inspiration and practical assistance to coordinate, administer and implement religious education ministry in the congregation for our children and youth. The REC works collaboratively with our Minister, other staff and religious education volunteers to develop, plan and implement religious education programming. The position encompasses religious education ministry for UUCCWC children and youth.
Our RE Coordinator supports the UU 7 Principles, our UU Statement of Sources and the UUCCWC Covenant of Right Relations in which we ground all congregational fellowship and Shared Ministry. This is a .30 FTE (up to 50 hrs per month) position with a professional expenses budget. Salary range is $900 to $1216 monthly based on experience.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Coordinator is present on Sundays to support RE classes, teachers, children and parents and to welcome new or visiting families. Is available to fill in, as needed, as a teacher and to support teachers with classroom management issues. Will have one Sunday monthly free of responsibilities.
- Recruits, trains and supports volunteer teachers and helpers. Organizes and implements training and orientation sessions for RE volunteers, as needed.
- Communicates in a timely manner with supervisor, staff, RE teachers, helpers, parents and congregation regarding RE programming. Is available for individual appointments upon request.
- Researches and oversees selection of RE curriculum for children and youth and trains teachers and helpers in presenting chosen curriculum.
- Develops RE annual budget in consultation with supervisor. Provides oversight of the RE budget throughout the year.
- Develops, implements and maintains attendance records.
- Plans, organizes and oversees all RE registration procedures and policies.
- Prepares the RE Coordinator report for the annual congregational report.
- Familiarity with and understanding of UUA RE curriculum for children and youth is a plus.
- Experience working with children and families.
- Is familiar with UUA Safe Congregation policy.
- Having a UUA Religious Educator credential is a plus.
- Experience serving in religious education in a UU congregation and/or equivalent is a plus.
Staff and Congregational Responsibilities:
- Supervises Volunteers and paid Nursery Care Givers.
- Meets and collaborates with supervisor and other staff members in planning for Rites of Passage, children and youth worship services and other activities.
- Attends annual staff retreat and occasional staff fellowship times.
- Meets at least monthly with supervisor.
- Responds promptly to all emails and other communication requests.
Salary and Benefits:
- Depends upon experience and qualifications in accordance with UUA guidelines.
To apply: Please send cover letter, resume, a document sharing your philosophy of religious education, contact information for 2-3 references and any other supporting documents to email@example.com This position is open until filled.
The Unitarian Universalist Community Church does not discriminate based on race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic pre-disposition, ancestry or national origin.